>> geocoordinates
> Yep, agreed. Or just coordinates.

yes, probably better without a "geo" if it shall work for moon or mars as well.

However, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate_system is far broader
term. But I cannot find a correct superclass term for
Geographic/Selenographic/Martiographic(?) coordinates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system may be close,
but its beyond my competence to decide.

Coordinates should be pragmatic enough. Or LocationCoordinates.

> In practice the value will be given as 44°15'. Then we know it is by the
> minute - and not that it is given by a nautical mile. I am not making a
> highly complex conversion -- I am just looking at the number and saying "oh
> yeah, this seems to be given by the minute, and not by the second or by the
> degree".
>
> The reason why I prefer degrees on a given equator to meters is that it
> makes more sense on varying globes, like the Earth, Moon, Sun, Jupiter, and
> Phobos. What we need is the possibility to understand that 44°15' should not
> be displayed as 44°15'00.001" the next time the value is displayed. And by
> saying it is correct by the minute allows us to do so. Making the statement
> in meters would actually require us to make that complex calculation which
> would be based on the given geodetic system -- which is much more
> complicated than the current suggestion.

you try to solve the problem of reproducing the precision of the
number as entered. However, the proposed mechanism is a mechanism of
uncertainty, which is far more general, able to express the
uncertainty radius that is due to e.g. specific GPS technologies. When
reading the proposal, I did not even understand your narrower
intention in your proposal.

I believe it does not work to simple use a an equator based
distance-in-m to degree conversion. See
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Geocoding#Precision for
examples how this changes in moderate latitudes, not to speak of being
near the pole.

My Conclusions:

a) the model may be able to express the number of digits in
degree-minute-second, decimal degrees, and degree-decimal-minutes. I
believe, however, that it is yet underdefined. The value in precision
necessary to specify whether a decimal-degree-stored-value is to be
reproduced as 44°15', 44°15'15'',  44°15'15'.15', 44°15'15'.15',
44°15.1515, or , 44.151515 ° (which are different example values of
course, not just different precision) is unclear to me.

Latitude and longitude to 4-5 significant digits mean different
precision in meters, but it is customary to give the same precision.

b) the model may unduly suggests it can be used for arbitrary reasons
of precision. However, it can not ALSO capture imprecision or
uncertainty expressed as
 00°15′00″S 78°35′00″W +/- 300 m, since this requires a conversion
which is different for longitude and latitude and longitudes at
different latitudes.

That is an geocoordinate with an explicit "+/- xx m" uncertainty
cannot be entered in wikidata. This is an acceptable limitation, but
it should be understood and clearly stated.

In a later mail Denny writes "I still would prefer "Arcdegree of the
equator of the given globe" over "Meter", as it allows to measure any
globe without having too much details about the globe. but otherwise
it seems like the same things. (And they can be transformed from one
to the other using a simple factor)." I think this is not correct.
There is no general and simple convertibility between error radius as
distance and number of significant digits in degrees.

c) if the goal is to store the number of significant digits/figures, I
suggest to store this more directly, although I admit that in the
presence of different representations (decimal degrees, DMS, etc.)
this is not trivial.

>> d) the correct name for "globe" is "Geodetic datum" or "geodetic
>> system" (which is more than the globe). See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodetic_system or
>> http://terms.gbif.org/wiki/dwc:geodeticDatum. WGS 84 (as a wikidata
>> item) is a valid geodetic datum or system. Both terms are equally
>> correct.

If it shall be applicable outside earth, geodetic datum/system may
actually be too narrow, I did not think of that.

I don't know the correct superterm then. Maybe just call it "system",
and explain, that "for earth it defines the geodetic or similar datum
or system, for other celestial bodys their analogues".

I am rather certain that Wikidata does not need to add a further
parameter for earth, moon, etc. as Jeroen suggests. I suggest to add
to the documentation: "The Geodetic or Spatial reference system must
be chosen in such a way that it automatically implies the celestial
body to which the coordinates apply (Earth, Moon, Mars, Venus, Sun,
etc.)". I almost believe that this will always be the case, since
these system must define the shape of the ellipsoid, which is
different for different celestial bodies.

Gregor