On 10 March 2014 04:10, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You have it backwards, in my opinion at least.

I think that's a rather bold statement, even couched as an opinion.

> When someone is notable
> enough for a Wikipedia article, create a Wikidata item and include all the
> pertinent information for that person. You may even be surprised in finding
> that the person already exists.

Are you familar, as I am, with the AfC proces to which I referred?
It's used mostly by novice users making their first articles. What
makes you think such people will ever start with Wikidata, much less
in its current form?

> There are many people from the USA or the UK
> who have an article in a Wikipedia but not in the English Wikipedia.

So? How does that help the people currently using AfC?

> When the known information has been entered, you will find in the Reasonator
> a text generated based on the available information when the subject is a
> human. This is proof of concept functionality that is best developed at this
> time for English.

I'm very familiar with Reasonator; indeed, I proposed a modest number
of its features. What makes you think the AfC users will be?

> What you are proposing however is something else; have Wikidata information
> included based on an article. There are several parts to this; when a
> subject is part of a specific category or lists, it would follow that
> specific statements can be made based on this information. When an article
> has a specific template / infobox the information in the infobox implies
> specific statements.

That is indeed my point.

> This is a bit of an issue; when Wikidata already knows
> about a subject and has that information it could serve the Wikipedia with
> that information. Who says that new information from a Wikipedia is better
> than existing information in Wikidata ?

Who says that the information relating to AfC article candidates is in Wikidata?

> However, the notion that Wikipedia has the information first is a false
> premise;

Poppycock; I see examples all the time where articles are created in
Wikipedia (via AfC or otherwise) with no equivalent in Wikidata.

>Wikidata has more than 50% more items than en,wp has articles.

That may be true; but it rarely has items on the articles proposed via AfC.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing