Hi,

I am at a the Multilingual Web Workshop in Madrid. I had a discussion here
with a person who specializes in multilingual terminology translation about
how Wikipedia and its sister sites can be more useful and reliable for
people who search for translations of terms from different professional
fields - medicine, communications, law, etc.

For example, if you go to the Wikipedia article [[Aorta]], how can you know
that this term is actually recognized as the English term by any
professional medical associations? And if you go to
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q101004 , how can you know the same things
about each of the translations of this term? For example, how do you know
that "Srdcovnica" is recognized as a Slovak term by any medical association
or linguistic committee?

By itself, the interlanguage link to Slovak is not reliable. A translator
to Slovak can, of course, go to a website of a relevant linguistic
committee and check the term there. But can it be more direct and
machine-readable?

A property could probably be created, which would hold an id of a term in
such a terminology database, but would it be appropriate to include it in
an item page, given that such information is language-specific? It seems
reasonable to me, but I wanted to make sure that everybody find it
acceptable.

And if there are such properties already, I'd love an example :)

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬