Hey :)

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 4:22 PM, James Heald <j.he...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Thanks Lydia!
>
> Something that occurs to me is that one may well want to include Commons
> categories in such a database, not just files, which presumably might be
> stored on a page like
>
>   Info:Category:Insert random Commons category intersection here
>
> so that one could then ask whether a file belongs to such a category or not,
> and the data would all be in the database.

So what you want is to be able to make the category one possible
search criteria when searching for images? We don't need an entity
type for that I think. We "just" have to build the search interface in
a way that it can take those into account as well from where they are
already now.
Or is that missing something important you had in mind?

> Such categories (or sets) may well not be Wikidata notable, for example:
>
>   Category:Pictures I took on my cellphone one midsummer morning
>
> so we cannot assume they have Q-numbers.

My assumption so far was that we can assume every topic we use to tag
images to be in Wikidata. Are there some examples currently in use on
Commons that you think would not be covered? Because Wikidata will be
used to tag much more than just Commons images in the future. So we
should have a really huge vocabulary.

> But it would be nice if we could describe such properties using the existing
> Wikidata syntax, ie via a property Pxyz = "belongs to set", and then an item
> number for the set it belonged to.

What set is this for example? Like "everything takes as part of Wiki
Loves Monuments 2012"? Or some other kind of set?

> Since the items wouldn't be on Wikidata, it would be useful if they had a
> different namespace,  eg   C nnnnnn

Imho they should be on Wikidata. I fear if we introduce another layer
it'll be considerably harder to use and maintain.

Cheers
Lydia

Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.