I agree with using "instance of" as RO prescribes, also because it would
clarify its use.

Regarding #2, what is the difference between stating "<ethanol> instance of
have some antecedents using ad-hoc typing properties, that perhaps could be
merged into a more generic property:
https://www.wikidata.org/w/index.php?search=p%3Atype&title=Special%3ASearch&go=Go

Cheers,
Micru

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Emw <emw.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have removed the statement *"instance of* chemical compound" from
> ethanol (Q153) [1].
>
> A few proposals have been made in this thread about how -- or whether --
> to use *instance of* (i.e. rdf:type, P31) to classify 'ethanol' and other
> chemical compounds, but there seems to be consensus that "*instance of*
> chemical compound" is not the way to do it.
>
> Summary of proposals:
>
>    1. *Do not use instance of for chemical compounds*.  Such statements
>    make Wikidata incompatible with many major scientific ontologies, like
>    ChEBI, Gene Ontology and Disease Ontology, which use *instance of* as
>    defined in the Relation Ontology (RO) [2].  Note that RO defines instances
>    as particular things that have a unique location in space and time, whereas
>    classes are universal, general entities which have particular instances.
>    Instances and classes are thus disjoint, so RO-based ontologies cannot have
>    entities that have both *instance of* (rdf:type, P31) and *subclass of*
>    (rdfs:subClassOf, P279) statements as is possible in OWL 2 DL via punning.
>
>    2. *Use statements like "instance of type of chemical compound" for
>    chemical compounds*.  Doing so makes it easier to generate lists of
>    chemical compounds, and is valid in OWL 2 DL -- it is metamodeling via
>    punning.
>
> Let's build consensus for how (or whether) we want to use *instance of*
> for chemical compounds before any mass edits to remove or replace the 14969
> other "*instance of* chemical compound" claims [3] or adding statements
> like "*instance of *type of chemical compound" to ethanol.
>
> Micru has a different proposal for how to model items, which incidentally
> does not represent "ethanol" as an instance [4].  However, that proposal is
> clearly a more radical vision for Wikidata, and probably warrants a
> separate thread for discussion.
>
> Eric
>
> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Emw
> [1] Removal of "*instance of* chemical compound" from ethanol:
> https://www.wikidata.org/w/index.php?title=Q153&diff=162563849&oldid=162327014
> [2] Barry Smith et al. (2005).  *Relations in Biomedical Ontologies*.
> http://genomebiology.com/2005/6/5/r46
> [3] All "*instance of* chemical compound" claims on Wikidata.
> http://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/autolist.html?q=claim[31:11173]
> [4] "'ethanol' is no longer an instance, but a class".
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikidata-l/2014-October/004691.html

Etiamsi omnes, ego non