So it is clear, instance_of, when translated to OWL, has generally been
written as the predicate rdf:type. There is no specific instance_of
relation defined as a property in OWL versions.

There is still a difference between rdf:type and instance_of, which is that
it is ternary temporally indexed relation as defined in BFO *Alan*
instance_of* Researcher* in *2014*.
Unfortunately there is no clear way to translate this into OWL. Fixing that
is among the work being done for BFO2