I think it is a very good idea to express facts in a "standard" vocabulary,
 so I am excited to see Wikidata available with DBpedia vocabulary -- this
is a quick answer for people who like DBpedia to get better data.

There is the minus that there will always been some loss in conversion
between vocabularies,  but I think that will be more than made up by having
a data set than many people will be able to use right out of the gate.

Kudos!

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 3:12 AM, Sebastian Hellmann <
hellm...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

>  Dear Tom,
>
> let me try to answer this question in a more general way.  In the future,
> we  honestly consider to map all data on the web to the DBpedia ontology
> (extending it where it makes sense). We hope that this will enable you to
> query many  data sets on the Web using the same queries.
>
> As a convenience measure, we will get a huge download server that provides
> all data from a single point in consistent  formats and consistent
> metadata, classified by the DBpedia Ontology.  Wikidata is just one
> example, there is also commons, Wiktionary (hopefully via DBnary), data
> from companies, DBpedia members and EU projects.
>
> all the best,
> Sebastian
>

> On 11.03.2015 06:11, Tom Morris wrote:
>
> Dimitris, Soren, and DBpedia team,
>
>  That sounds like an interesting project, but I got lost between the
> statement of intent, below, and the practical consequences:
>
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Dimitris Kontokostas <
> kontokos...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
>
>>  we made some different design choices and map wikidata data directly
>> into the DBpedia ontology.
>>

>  What, from your point of view, is the practical consequence of these
> different design choices?  How do the end results manifest themselves to
> the consumers?
>
>  Tom

> --
> Sebastian Hellmann
> AKSW/NLP2RDF research group
> Insitute for Applied Informatics (InfAI) and DBpedia Association
> Events:
> * *Feb 9th, 2015* 3rd DBpedia Community Meeting in Dublin
> <http://wiki.dbpedia.org/meetings/Dublin2015>
> * *May 29th, 2015* Submission deadline SEMANTiCS 2015
> * *Sept 15th-17th, 2015* SEMANTiCS 2015 (formerly i-SEMANTICS), Vienna
> <http://semantics.cc/>
> Venha para a Alemanha como PhD: http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/csf
> Projects: http://dbpedia.org, http://nlp2rdf.org,
> http://linguistics.okfn.org, https://www.w3.org/community/ld4lt
> <http://www.w3.org/community/ld4lt>
> Homepage: http://aksw.org/SebastianHellmann
> Research Group: http://aksw.org
> Thesis:
> http://tinyurl.com/sh-thesis-summary
> http://tinyurl.com/sh-thesis

Paul Houle
Expert on Freebase, DBpedia, Hadoop and RDF
(607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   ontolo...@gmail.com
http://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup