Thanks for your response. Actually the systems it's being run on are pretty well equipped with multiple cores and plenty of memory.

I believe the problem arose from the fact that the rccontinue parameter is not being carried forward from previous calls to the wikibase API. Refactoring the code to do so seems to have fixed the problem.

Cheers,