Hi!

> Also, I don't see a reason why the JSON encoding should use an IRI

It probably doesn't have to, just Q-id would be enough. "1" is OK too,
but a bit confusing - if the rest would be Q-ids, then it makes sense to
make all of the Q-ids. Other option would be to make it just null or
something special like that.

> string does not seem to help anyone. I would suggest keeping the "1" as
> a marker for "no unit". Of course, this "1" would never be shown in the

It is possible, but "1" the looks like "magic value", which is usually
bad design since one needs to check for it all the time. It would be
nicer if there could be a way to avoid it.

> Wikibase and elsewhere. If we create a special IRI for denoting this
> situation, it will be better distinguished from other (regular) units,
> and there will be no dependency on the current content of Wikidata's Q199.

We already have such dependencies - e.g. in calendars and globes - so it
won't be anything new. But let's see what the Wikidata team thinks about
it :)

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@wikimedia.org