Hi!

> I would argue that this is better done by using qualifiers (e.g. start
> data, end data).  If a statement on the population size would be set to
> preferred, but isn't monitored for quite some time, it can be difficult
> to see if the "preferred" statement is still accurate, whereas a
> qualifier would give a better indication that that stament might need an
> update.

Right now this bot:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:PreferentialBot
watches statements like "population" that have multiple values with
different time qualifiers but no current preference.

What it doesn't currently do is to verify that the preferred one refers
to the latest date. It probably shouldn't fix these cases (because there
may be valid cause why the latest is not the best, e.g. some population
estimates are more precise than others) but it can alert about it. This
can be added if needed.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@wikimedia.org