Thad,

    I actually don't see how using internal properties would go against
Wikidata policy. There is the  requirement of notability, "

   1.  It fulfills *some structural need*, for example: it is needed to
   make statements made in other items more useful." [1]

I might be wrong, but I would consider creating a new item to describe a
subclass, fulfilling a structural need.
Modelling classes and subclasses this way, also makes writing federated
queries where the WDQS is used in the SERVICE operator easier. I only need
to consider one wikidata property to bridge Wikidata with external sources,
and deal with child and parent classes in Wikidata.

Cheers,

Andra

[1] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Notability