> you might enumerate the position of each occurrence of a word in Harry
Potter, that's all pure facts after all. But publishing an extensive set of
that kind of factual statements would let anyone rebuild this books.

This is just a representation of the artwork. And the artwork is protected
as a creative work. So you can’t do that without violating database right
(I guess a court won’t buy the argument « but this was not the ebook of
Harry Potter, this was the zipfile of an ebook of Harry Potter.) You can’t
« hack » the law that way as it has been robust ehough to protect numerical
and paper versions of book withou a sustantial change, an editor don’t have
to protect the little endian as well as the big endian version of the file
:). What is not protected is the idea : you can make a story about a
sorcerer school.

What is a work of the spirit is defined by the law, in france :
http://www.bnf.fr/fr/professionnels/principes_droit_auteur.html A criteria,
relevant in databases is « originality »
*: another author would not make the same work. In pure factual facts, like
a lot of stuffs, a list of work ever published by a specific editor, any
author would do the same list eventually. Only the specific presentation of
the data can apply as « droit d’auteur ». However databases obey a specific
law that aims to protect an organisation that uses a « substancial » amout
of resources to build a specific dataset. An example is the french organism
IGN https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:EntityPage/Q1665102
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:EntityPage/Q1665102> who recolted,
updated and publisshed detailed geographic maps of france. Such an editor
is allowed to disallow the extraction of a « substancial » amount of datas
from his dataset … this last 15 years from the point the editor stops
unpdating the data. *