On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 9:53 AM Brill Lyle <wp.brilll...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. This is the crux of the matter, the big question: *"I'm not sure we
> should store this kind of data on Wikidata."*

So, I miss the ideas and mantra we had in Freebase. "some data is better
than no data".  It really was FREE in the sense that editathons or curators
or researchers could actually use Freebase to begin storing their data
collection.  Freebase had the same worries.  And we solved it quite easily
and built up a wonderful community of lists, data in the making, partial
projects, etc.  Just like Black Lunch Table is doing now.  The solution was
introducing a very simple idea of a "namespace".  Everyone and every
project could have their own slice of Freebase and anyone could ask
permission from the namespace owner to help edit or curate.  Our search and
API allowed you to filter out non-root namespaces if you wanted or filter
ON THEM.  My personal namespace was /thadguidry.  And it is there to this
day in the data dumps where you can see all my curated data and lists.  We
monitored namespaces for simple violations like racism, human dignity data
violations, etc., but left it free and open in the sense that "some data is
better than no data".  It resulted in the amassing of over 500,000,000
namespace facts and they are still used to this day to enrich "less than
notable" entities where many of those "less than notable/popular?" facts
actually show up in Bing, Yahoo, Yandex, & Google and where researchers,
and students have used those facts to enlighten the world and make it a
better place.

It would be AMAZING, if somehow, this year in 2018...that namespaces could
actually be used in Wikidata to make it truly free and open to all.
/blacklunchtable to start.

-Thad