On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 4:41 PM Daniel Kinzler <dkinz...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Hi Pine, sorry for the misleading wording. Let me clarify below.
>
> Am 19.10.18 um 9:51 nachm. schrieb Pine W:
> > Hi Markus, I seem to be missing something. Daniel said, "And I think the
> best
> > way to achieve this is to start using the ontology as an ontology on
> wikimedia
> > projects, and thus expose the fact that the ontology is broken. This
> gives
> > incentive to fix it, and examples as to what things should be possible
> using
> > that ontology (namely, some level of basic inference)." I think that I
> > understand the basic idea behind structured data on Commons. I also
> think that I
> > understand your statement above. What I'm not understanding is how
> Daniel's
> > proposal to "start using the ontology as an ontology on wikimedia
> projects, and
> > thus expose the fact that the ontology is broken." isn't a proposal to
> add poor
> > quality information from Wikidata onto Wikipedia and, in the process,
> give
> > Wikipedians more problems to fix. Can you or Daniel explain this?
>
> What I meant in concrete terms was: let's start using wikidata items for
> tagging
> on commons, even though search results based on such tags will currently
> not
> yield very good results, due to the messy state of the ontology, and hope
> people
> fix the ontology to get better search results. If people use "poodle" to
> tag an
> image and it's not found when searching for "dog", this may lead to people
> investigating why that is, and coming up with ontology improvements to fix
> it.
>
> What I DON'T mean is "let's automatically generate navigation boxes for
> wikipedia articles based on an imperfect  ontology, and push them on
> everyone".
> I mean, using the ontology to generate navigation boxes for some kinds of
> articles may be a nice idea, and could indeed have the same effect - that
> people
> notice problems in the ontology, and fix them. But that would be something
> the
> local wiki communities decide to do, not something that comes from
> Wikidata or
> the Structured Data project.
>
> The point I was trying to make is: the Wiki communities are rather good in
> creating structures that serve their purpose, but they do so pragmatically,
> along the behavior of the existing tools. So, rather than trying to work
> around
> the quirks of the ontology in software, the software should use very simply
> rules (such as following the subclass relation), and let people adopt the
> data
> [...]

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the explanation. I think that I now better understand what
you're proposing. This explanation of the proposal sounds reasonable to me
in a way that my earlier understanding of the proposal did not.

By the way, I don't know what your normal work schedule is, but I usually
don't expect staff to respond to non-urgent emails over the weekend,
although I appreciate it. :) Waiting until Monday is usually fine.

Pine