Hoi,
Wikidata grows like mad. This is something we all experience in the really
bad response times we are suffering. It is so bad that people are asked
what kind of updates they are running because it makes a difference in the
lag times there are.

Given that Wikidata is growing like a weed, it follows that there are two
issues. Technical - what is the maximum that the current approach supports
- how long will this last us. Fundamental - what funding is available to
sustain Wikidata.

For the financial guys, growth like Wikidata is experiencing is not
something you can reliably forecast. As an organisation we have more money
than we need to spend, so there is no credible reason to be stingy.

For the technical guys, consider our growth and plan for at least one year.
When the impression exists that the current architecture will not scale
beyond two years, start a project to future proof Wikidata.

It will grow and the situation will get worse before it gets better.
Thanks,
      GerardM

PS I know about phabricator tickets, they do not give the answers to the
questions we need to address.