Hi all,

Yes, Benno's WDumper could be used for this purpose. The motivation for the whole project was very similar to what Aidan describes. We realised thought that there won't be a single good way to build smaller dump that would serve every conceivable use in research, which is why the UI let's users make custom dumps.

In general, we are happy to hear more ideas on how to build useful smaller dumps that would be interesting. We are also accepting pull requests.

Benno, could you add a feature to include only items with Wikipedia page (in some language, or in any language)?

Edgard, I don't think making this more "official" will be very important for most researchers. Benno spent quite some time on aligning the RDF export with the official dumps, so in practice, WDumper mostly produces a subset of the triples of the official dump (which one could also have extracted manually). If there are differences left between the formats, we will be happy to hear about them (a github issue would be the best way to report it).

As Benno already wrote, WDumper connects to Zenodo to ensure that exported datasets are archived in a permanent and citable fashion. This is very important for research. As far as I know, none of the existing dumps (official or not) guarantee long-term availability at the moment.

Cheers,

Markus