Hi Aidan,

since DBpedia has been around for twelve years now, we spent the last 3 years intensively re-engineering to solve problems like this.

Last week, we finished the Virtuoso DBpedia Docker[1]  to work on Databus Collections[2],[3]. Databus contains different repartitions of all the datasets, i.e. Wikipedia/Wikidata extractions and external data. The idea here is that datasets or graphs are stored in a granular manner and then you make your own collection (DCAT Catalog) or re-use collections by others.

This will go in the direction to build 1 Billion derived Knowledge Graphs until 2025: https://databus.dbpedia.org/dbpedia/publication/strategy/2019.09.09/strategy_databus_initiative.pdf

We analysed a lot of problems in the GlobalFactSync project [5] and studied Wikidata intensively. Our conclusion here is that we will invert DBpedia by 180 degrees in the future. So instead of taking the main data from Wikipedia and Wikidata, we will take it from the sources directly, since all data in Wikipedia and Wikidata comes from somewhere else. So the new direction is LOD -> DBpedia -> Wikipedia/Wikidata via sameAs,equivalentClass/Property mappings.

This is not a solution for the dump size problem per se, because we are creating even bigger and more varied and domain-specific knowledge graphs and dumps via FlexiFusion. Besides the flexible source partitions, we offer a partition by property, where you can simply pick the properties you want for your knowledge graph and then docker-load it into the SPARQL store of choice. There is no manual yet, but this query gives you all 3.8 million birthdates of the new big fused graph: https://databus.dbpedia.org/yasgui/

PREFIX dataid: <http://dataid.dbpedia.org/ns/core#>
PREFIX dataid-cv: <http://dataid.dbpedia.org/ns/cv#>
PREFIX dct: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/>
PREFIX dcat:  <http://www.w3.org/ns/dcat#>
SELECT DISTINCT ?file WHERE {
     ?dataset dataid:version <https://databus.dbpedia.org/vehnem/flexifusion/fusion/2019.11.15> .
    ?dataset dcat:distribution ?distribution .
    ?distribution <http://dataid.dbpedia.org/ns/cv#tag> 'birthDate'^^<http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string> .
    ?distribution dcat:downloadURL ?file .
}

Where you can filter more here: https://databus.dbpedia.org/vehnem/flexifusion/fusion/2019.11.15

During the next year, we will include all European library data into the syncing process, several national statistical datasets and other data and refine the way to extract exactly the partition you need. It is an opportunistic extension to Linked Open Data, where you can select the partition you need independent of the IDs or vocab used.

-- Sebastian

[1] https://github.com/dbpedia/Dockerized-DBpedia

[2] https://forum.dbpedia.org/t/dbpedia-dataset-2019-08-30-pre-release/219

[3] https://github.com/dbpedia/minimal-download-client