it is very late in China , but before I go to bed ,wake up forgot what I
wanted to say to George Simens's Post :

1 I think it is totally or partly  waste of time to translate the whole
course of MIT especially what Taiwan is doing now , too radical , let me
finish , they even translate the name wrong into Chinese !

2 I am particularyly interested in how Developing countries develop their
own OER and what kinda of OER existed in  those countries especially to do
with Non-technology course like Chinese history or Chinese history

3 I feel strong about the culture part of Creataing and reuse OER , I think
WE does have a culture projects going on , how is it now ?

4 I am interested to hear about what you have to say George Simens comments
on OER

Leo

2008/5/6 Wong Leo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> was at CNIE earlier this week and participated on this panel 
> discussing<http://www.athabascau.ca/CNIE-RCIE/sess/pres_en.php?presentation_id=145>open
> educational resources (OERs). Educators are periodically afflicted with a
> psychological condition called "Cute Kitten Syndrome". This syndrome
> manifests itself as evoking perceived universal favor for an idea or concept
> and with those opposing cast as lacking some key element that comprises
> humanity. I mean, really, who doesn't love cute furry kittens? If a person
> is to speak against OERs, they are essentially revealing their callus
> nature. But, I must say a few critical things. First, I'm in favor of OERs
> as a concept. In fact, in 2003, a group of us started a community on open
> educational resources based on a few articles I had posted online (Free and
> Open Source - Part 
> 1<http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/open_source_part_1.htm>and Part
> 2 <http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/open_source_part_2.htm> and Why we
> should share learning 
> resources<http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/why_we_should_share.htm>)
> and Stephen Downes' concept of DLORN<http://www.downes.ca/presentation/44>.
> Summary notes from our first meeting are here: Open Education: Moving from
> concept to reality<http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/OE_presentation.htm>.
> We set up a few discussions, ran a few listservs for a while, tried to
> organize sub-committees, but things never really moved forward as Stephen
> and I had hoped (well, as I had hoped, anyway). The group slowly breathed
> its last and the domain name went to the land of unfulfilled dreams. Where
> are we now with OERs? The term is used very broadly and the landscape is
> shifting constantly. MITs OpenCourseWare initiative is often cited as the
> starting point of OERs, but David Wiley <http://opencontent.org/blog/> and
> others were already dealing with the notion of openness from a licensing
> perspective in the late 90's. (Slightly off topic, David's involved in a new
> project with open textbooks: Flat World 
> Knowledge<http://www.flatworldknowledge.com/>).
> Some view OERs as simply making resources freely available. Some - such as
> OCWconsortium <http://www.ocwconsortium.org/> have a required minimum
> commitment in order to participate. And it appears, that OERs are the new
> hype feature of educational conferences...almost getting to the learning
> object and repository level of late 90's early 00's. We're in that same
> happy state of chaos where we find ourselves in so many areas of emerging
> technologies - moving too fast with too many voices to give this thing a
> concise name. As we were. While I have huge appreciation for OERs and hold
> out for the prospect that OERs will truly make a difference to people who
> most need them, I still have a few critical views. 1). Why OERs? What are we
> trying to achieve? Marketing our institution? Reducing costs for learners?
> Better quality learning materials? Making the world a better place? Help
> people in developing countries? What's your motivation or the motivation of
> your institution in pursuing OERs? I fear too many educators are talking
> about it because others are. Look deep within your soul. Why are 
> *you*interested in OERs? What can we do with them that we cannot do under our
> current system? From my perspective, resources developed with public funds
> should be accessible by the public. Journals publishing research funded by
> the government should be open. Content/curriculum created by public
> institutions should be made public. Additionally, education has been listed
> as one of the primary determinants of life expectancy, reduction of poverty,
> etc. To deny people access to education has an ethical dimension. In a
> wealthy country, we could make the argument that learners who pay for their
> education possess a reasonable prospect of earning sufficient revenue from
> having a degree that some trade off is possible. I won't get into this
> discussion here...after all, even in a prosperous country, opportunities for
> education are confined to a certain segment of society. In developing
> countries, those with greatest need to access education, are often locked
> out due to high resource issues. A typical learner from Africa cannot afford
> to attend a well known university. It's not just that finances are a burden.
> Finances are an insurmountable barrier. But to withhold the prospect of
> education to learners in developing countries is to condemn people to the
> possibility of a perpetual cycle of poverty. For me, that's the big "why" of
> OERs, but concerns exist with targeting this audience, as detailed in #3.
> 2). OERs are window dressing if systems and structures of education do not
> change. Toward the end of the panel, one member stated "OERs can change
> education". No. They can't. OERs, like blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other
> ideas and tools are daily blips in the long term trend of how we are
> interacting differently with information and with each other. OERs have not
> yet achieved divine status. I don't think they will. They are an important
> reflection of the larger trend wave, but the are not driving the larger
> trend. Paul A. David in The Dynamo and the Computer: An Historical
> Perspective on the Modern Productivity 
> Paradox<http://www.jstor.org/pss/2006600>suggests systems are confined by 
> previous innovations. New innovations, in a
> very McLuhanesque sort of way, are used to do the work of previous
> innovations. It's only when we change the system that we change
> significantly. In our interaction with information, we have many
> constraining elements from previous innovations such as books, libraries,
> and even the design of school systems. Deep, significant, and systemic
> change is required (he says in a non-sweeping, non-overstated, kind of way).
> 3) OERs exhibit (are embedded with) certain ideologies/views/pedagogies,
> etc. For a student in the Middle East to use MITs resources requires they
> use the English language...or Aboriginal learner lose Indigenous 
> knowledge<http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/aboriginalplanet/750/resource/global/rewipo-en.asp>when
>  encountering resources created with a different world view. Better yet,
> *how do we encourage people in developing countries to create their own
> OERs and export them to our countries? I* had a discussion following the
> session with an individual who felt that as other culture appropriate OERs,
> they would naturally inject their identity and their culture. I'm not sure.
> But, in fairness, there are many things we are not sure about with regard to
> OERs. *Who is using the resources? How are they being used? I've heard of
> Chinese students translating entire MIT courses into Chinese. How common is
> this? *What is the impact of these courses? Why are students taking them?
> For personal interest or part of an academic program? And how will we
> sustain these initiatives? We need more research on the actual impact. BTW,
> I do like cute kittens.
>
> the above is taken from
> http://connectivism.ca/blog/2008/04/open_educational_resources_fur.html
>
> well my 2 cents , I strongly disagree with Georget Simens in many aspects
> , but agree with him also in many parts painfully ?
>
> Leo
>
> http://wikieducator.com/user:leolaoshi
>
>


-- 
blog:http://leolaoshi.yo2.cn
HELP项目https://groups.google.com/group/helpelephantsliveproject

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"WikiEducator" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to