was at CNIE earlier this week and participated on this panel
discussing<http://www.athabascau.ca/CNIE-RCIE/sess/pres_en.php?presentation_id=145>open
educational resources (OERs). Educators are periodically afflicted with a
psychological condition called "Cute Kitten Syndrome". This syndrome
manifests itself as evoking perceived universal favor for an idea or concept
and with those opposing cast as lacking some key element that comprises
humanity. I mean, really, who doesn't love cute furry kittens? If a person
is to speak against OERs, they are essentially revealing their callus
nature. But, I must say a few critical things. First, I'm in favor of OERs
as a concept. In fact, in 2003, a group of us started a community on open
educational resources based on a few articles I had posted online (Free and
Open Source - Part
1<http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/open_source_part_1.htm>and Part
2 <http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/open_source_part_2.htm> and Why we
should share learning
resources<http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/why_we_should_share.htm>)
and Stephen Downes' concept of DLORN <http://www.downes.ca/presentation/44>.
Summary notes from our first meeting are here: Open Education: Moving from
concept to reality <http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/OE_presentation.htm>.
We set up a few discussions, ran a few listservs for a while, tried to
organize sub-committees, but things never really moved forward as Stephen
and I had hoped (well, as I had hoped, anyway). The group slowly breathed
its last and the domain name went to the land of unfulfilled dreams. Where
are we now with OERs? The term is used very broadly and the landscape is
shifting constantly. MITs OpenCourseWare initiative is often cited as the
starting point of OERs, but David Wiley <http://opencontent.org/blog/> and
others were already dealing with the notion of openness from a licensing
perspective in the late 90's. (Slightly off topic, David's involved in a new
project with open textbooks: Flat World
Knowledge<http://www.flatworldknowledge.com/>).
Some view OERs as simply making resources freely available. Some - such as
OCWconsortium <http://www.ocwconsortium.org/> have a required minimum
commitment in order to participate. And it appears, that OERs are the new
hype feature of educational conferences...almost getting to the learning
object and repository level of late 90's early 00's. We're in that same
happy state of chaos where we find ourselves in so many areas of emerging
technologies - moving too fast with too many voices to give this thing a
concise name. As we were. While I have huge appreciation for OERs and hold
out for the prospect that OERs will truly make a difference to people who
most need them, I still have a few critical views. 1). Why OERs? What are we
trying to achieve? Marketing our institution? Reducing costs for learners?
Better quality learning materials? Making the world a better place? Help
people in developing countries? What's your motivation or the motivation of
your institution in pursuing OERs? I fear too many educators are talking
about it because others are. Look deep within your soul. Why are
*you*interested in OERs? What can we do with them that we cannot do
under our
current system? From my perspective, resources developed with public funds
should be accessible by the public. Journals publishing research funded by
the government should be open. Content/curriculum created by public
institutions should be made public. Additionally, education has been listed
as one of the primary determinants of life expectancy, reduction of poverty,
etc. To deny people access to education has an ethical dimension. In a
wealthy country, we could make the argument that learners who pay for their
education possess a reasonable prospect of earning sufficient revenue from
having a degree that some trade off is possible. I won't get into this
discussion here...after all, even in a prosperous country, opportunities for
education are confined to a certain segment of society. In developing
countries, those with greatest need to access education, are often locked
out due to high resource issues. A typical learner from Africa cannot afford
to attend a well known university. It's not just that finances are a burden.
Finances are an insurmountable barrier. But to withhold the prospect of
education to learners in developing countries is to condemn people to the
possibility of a perpetual cycle of poverty. For me, that's the big "why" of
OERs, but concerns exist with targeting this audience, as detailed in #3.
2). OERs are window dressing if systems and structures of education do not
change. Toward the end of the panel, one member stated "OERs can change
education". No. They can't. OERs, like blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other
ideas and tools are daily blips in the long term trend of how we are
interacting differently with information and with each other. OERs have not
yet achieved divine status. I don't think they will. They are an important
reflection of the larger trend wave, but the are not driving the larger
trend. Paul A. David in The Dynamo and the Computer: An Historical
Perspective on the Modern Productivity
Paradox<http://www.jstor.org/pss/2006600>suggests systems are confined
by previous innovations. New innovations, in a
very McLuhanesque sort of way, are used to do the work of previous
innovations. It's only when we change the system that we change
significantly. In our interaction with information, we have many
constraining elements from previous innovations such as books, libraries,
and even the design of school systems. Deep, significant, and systemic
change is required (he says in a non-sweeping, non-overstated, kind of way).
3) OERs exhibit (are embedded with) certain ideologies/views/pedagogies,
etc. For a student in the Middle East to use MITs resources requires they
use the English language...or Aboriginal learner lose Indigenous
knowledge<http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/aboriginalplanet/750/resource/global/rewipo-en.asp>when
encountering resources created with a different world view. Better
yet,
*how do we encourage people in developing countries to create their own OERs
and export them to our countries? I* had a discussion following the session
with an individual who felt that as other culture appropriate OERs, they
would naturally inject their identity and their culture. I'm not sure. But,
in fairness, there are many things we are not sure about with regard to
OERs. *Who is using the resources? How are they being used? I've heard of
Chinese students translating entire MIT courses into Chinese. How common is
this? *What is the impact of these courses? Why are students taking them?
For personal interest or part of an academic program? And how will we
sustain these initiatives? We need more research on the actual impact. BTW,
I do like cute kittens.

the above is taken from
http://connectivism.ca/blog/2008/04/open_educational_resources_fur.html

well my 2 cents , I strongly disagree with Georget Simens in many aspects ,
but agree with him also in many parts painfully ?

Leo

http://wikieducator.com/user:leolaoshi