Thank you Peter , you are amazing ! I am reading what you and Wayne wrote very carefully and really learning a lot from both of you .I am not sure if I understand the animal analogy , I would like to give my 2 cents to this on the quality or healthy wiki resources .
1 What is the purpose of the educational resources ? 2 what need will be addressed ? 3 what program will be developed by using this resources 4 what faculty will be involoved ? 5 what kinds of staff will be invloved ? 6 what promotion need to done or training ? 7 how will you measure the being healthy or sucess ? Leo 2008/5/7 Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: > > Wayne, > > I believe we are trying to push into new ground. That of measuring the > quality of wiki based OER. And I like that Leo agreed, reuse and > recontextualization is most important. > I also believe that the only people who can measure the health of a > Grade 7 geography lesson for Pakistan are the people who live in that > geographical area of Pakistan. So this IMHO goes back to community, > not reviewing the content, unless the reviewers are local to the > targeted learners of the content. And they created the "measures" for > the review... this is why a maturity model is effective, cause it is > subscriptive not prescriptive. to a certain extend the users decide > what is mature > I still believe the jury is out on the number of authors to make > exemplary content. I believe it all depends on who the author(s) is/ > are... > I agree with your healthy animal analogy... it all goes back to > context, it all depends. That is why a review must be done within > context... > > I believe if we are serious about reviewing the quality of WE content > we need to be rigorous and have proven (and well researched) > approaches. Otherwise we may be doing our community a dis-service. And > providing reviews that aren't context sensitive. I think we need to be > careful. > > I think we need to be proven zoo keepers for a long while before we > can start assessing the health of the animals ;) > > Cheers, > Peter > > On May 6, 3:08 pm, mackiwg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > Hi Peter, > > > > Thanks for starting this thread --- these are tough and challenging > > questions. > > > > I think we need to think about whose temperature we're measuring > > <smile>. Is it the content or is it the community. So when we're > > talking about the health of the WE OER community -- this is something > > different from the health of the Grade 7 Geography lesson for > > Pakistan. > > > > Stated conversely -- if exemplary content only has one or two authors, > > does this mean the community is unhealthy? > > > > So the list of questions are measurements (or data) -- but not > > necessarily value judgements about the health of the object -- if you > > know what I mean. To stretch the health example -- cold blooded > > animals would be healthy if they're at room temparature I guess, -- > > but the actual measurement would not necessarily be indicative of a > > health mamal. > > > > Sorry -- I'm not a Zoologist <smile> -- but hope the analogy works. > > > > Cheers > > Wayne > > > > On May 6, 8:18 am, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > > > > I think this is a timely question. What indicates a healthy wiki > > > environment. I also think this question should be thought about in the > > > context of WikiEducator and wiki based OER? How would this health be > > > measured? > > > Is it the number of contributors to a page or module? > > > or is it the reputation of the pages primary author? > > > or is it the number of edits? > > > or is it the frequency of being referenced? > > > or is it the number of times it has been reused and recontextualized? > > > or is it the number of different countries that use it? > > > or is in the number of visits? > > > > > or is it all of the above? > > > > > Peter > > > -- blog:http://leolaoshi.yo2.cn HELP项目https://groups.google.com/group/helpelephantsliveproject --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
