Hi Chris, Leigh

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 20:23 +1000, Chris Harvey wrote:

> Im not sure we urgently need more ubuntu videos.

(I suspect Leigh's questions are not so much directed at videos about
Ubuntu but rather how to record screen movies on his Ubuntu GNU/Linux
distro.)

Slightly off topic -- I thought I'd take a look at some of the stats and
the extent that screen movies are used by WikiEducator learners.

Personally as a learner I rarely use screen movies. I prefer reading the
text and getting on with trying to implement. However, when looking at
the stats -- these screen movies are very popular with our audience.

Consider for example that:

      * 58 % of new account holders on WikiEducator have never created a
        wiki account before; and
      * 61% classify themselves as beginners when it comes to wiki
        editing.

Looking at the pages views of two of the first relevant Newbie Tutorials
(i.e. Creating an account and Editing basics):

      * 43% of the pages views expressed as a proportion of the home
        page views for the Creating an account tutorial have visited the
        screen movie page;
      * 33% of the pages views expressed as a proportion of the home
        page views for the tutorial on Editing Basics have visited the
        screen movie page.

Clearly the screen movies are being used by a large proportion of
WikiEducators. Further support that we all learn in different ways. That
said, we all learn in spite of teaching <smile>.