Leigh wrote:

<< As far as I know PD was not ported to NZ, or Australia, or Canada.
The equivalent might be "Property of the Crown" but the Common Wealth
of the Crown has been eroded some. >>

I'm admittedly not a lawyer, but my understanding is that doesn't have
to be ported.  A public domain dedication isn't a license that's
inherently backed up by copyright; it's an author's permanent
relinquishment of automatic state entitlement to monopoly on that
work.  While the public domain itself is recognised in all common law
countries, whether one can dedicate one's own work to it without
government permission is a little bit of a gray area.  Creative
Commons supports a public domain dedication process, however, which
they seem to think holds weight at least within the U.S.:

http://creativecommons.org/license/publicdomain-2

Perhaps for those working in tyrannical jurisdictions that don't allow
authors to do this there's room for a CC-like license that explicitly
doesn't reserve any rights at all.  PiratbyrÄn has the kernel of this
with their kopimi logo:

http://www.kopimi.se/kopimi/

-=Steve=-