---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wayne Mackintosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Dec 7, 2008 1:34 AM
Subject: Re: TQF for FOSS Education
To: WikiEd-INDIA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Anil,

I agree -- having a TQF for FOSS is an excellent idea.  I won't
necessarily be easy -- getting the FOSS community to agree on a
universal framework may be a challenge. That said, there are already
existing certification frameworks, for example:

* The Linux Professional Institute (http://www.lpi.org/ )
* RedHat Linux run their own certification (https://www.redhat.com/
training/ )
* OpenOffice have been working on a certification (http://
wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOo_Certification_Syllabus )
* The Open ICDL which aims to provide ICDL certification for Open
Source productivity software.

WIkiEducator has been working on the Computer Navigator's Certificate
in an attempt to develop high quality materials for the Open ICDL.
Sadly progress has been slow in finding content authors to help us in
completing the materials :-(. See: http://www.wikieducator.org/CCNC

It would be amazing if we could get some coordination going around a
TQF for FLOSS. Perhaps the route is to think about how we map national
curricula to existing FLOSS certifications?

On Dec 6, 8:51 am, aprasad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well done Savithri ji, Congrats!
>
> You are right we have to expand our network in India by connecting those
who
> research and promote FOSS.
>
> In Kerala, on 9/12/2008 to 11/12/2008 there will be an International
Seminar
> on FOSS (www.fsfs.in)  where in stalwarts like * *Richard Matthew
> Stallman<http://fsfs.in/schedule/speakers/47.en.html> ,
> Jimmy Wales <http://fsfs.in/schedule/speakers/11.en.html> , Alan
> Story<http://fsfs.in/schedule/speakers/51.en.html>,
> Eben Moglen <http://fsfs.in/schedule/speakers/53.en.html> , etc will be
> participating. State Govt., through Kerala State IT Mission is the
> major partner of the event. I have wrote to the organizers to discuss the
> possibility of developing a Transnational Qualification Framework for FOSS
> education. Major factors that slows down the spread of FOSS are the lack
of
> proper awareness, absence of a pedagogical system that promote the
teaching
> and learning of FOSS, and nominal support force.
>
> Once the FOSS community is succeed in establishing a Qualification
Framework
> and popularize FOSS studies, the above problems can be solved to a greater
> extent and we will be able to create labour market demand for FOSS experts
> and teachers – it is necessary for sustained development and use.
>
> I also introduced WikiEducator and informed that WikiEducator can be used
by
> the FOSS community to develop the Qualification Framework for FOSS
> education.
>
> Let us raise the need of a Qualification Framework for FOSS in other FOSS
> venues also. We will be able to achieve it by networking WikiEducators,
FOSS
> experts, teachers who has faith in FOSS, academic institutions/bodies that
> are willing to co-operate etc etc to this movement.
>
> Warm regards
>
> Anil
>
> On 12/6/08, Randy Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
>
> > I am pleased to receive your messages, however, the "subject" has
changed
> > from the initial "Settings" subject.....
>
> > There is a feature in the email to "Edit Subject" when it changes so
> > substantially.....
>
> > Great progress below!
>
> > - Randy
>
> > On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Savithri Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>wrote:
>
> >> Congrats to all of you..... its good to see so many take an interest.
> >> Am sure we'll be able achieve much, with such real committed work.
>
> >> Today I had gone for a seminar on 'Knowledge Commons' held at Habitat
> >> Centre.  The sessions mainly dealt with health - 'open source drug
> >> designing' ' open source in the time of patents' 'Tribal knowledge in
> >> Kerala and the Govts. stand'.  At the end of the day I had an
> >> opportunity to speak for a few minutes about wikieducator.  Many
> >> people were interested in learning more.  Knowledge Commons has
> >> decided to hold its next meeting on theme 'education' where wikiEd
> >> would be the focus.  This will give us more visibility, and get us
> >> into touch with committed 'open source' and 'Linux' community in Delhi
> >> as well as the country.  Some people teaching law and dealing with
> >> patent laws were very interested in the wikieducator which they would
> >> like to consider for uploading 'educational content' on the laws.
>
> >> We need to do our best to get in touch with the wider 'open source '
> >> community in the country, and create a movement in the University of
> >> Delhi.  I feel ashamed somehow that our University does not have a
> >> vibrant movement considering that JNU and IIT do.
>
> >> Lets pledge that we'll make a difference!!
>
> >> Savithri

[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >> This
> >> page

Tasks
> >> from
> >> for the
Can
> >> review
> >> members will
> >> will
> >> Clicking
> >> message/

> >> me how to

> >> members with

> >> change
> >> members to join

> >> have a SPAM
> >> the load.

> >> change the
> >> wonderful
> >> our

> >> wikieducator.org/User:Anil_Prasadhttp://wikieducator.org/India......

> >> wikieducator.org/User:Anil_Prasadhttp://wikieducator.org/India......

> > --
> > ________________
> > Randy Fisher - Change Management & Collaboration, Human Performance &
> > Engagement, Sustainable Communities & Organizations
>
> > * Engaging People in Teams, Communities and Organizations....and
> > WikiEducator!
>
> > + 1 604.684.2275
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> >http://www.wikieducator.org