its all getting a bit hysterical really with twitter avatar blackouts now
wikieducator blackouts!

look. even the ISPs don't like this section in the new copyright act for NZ
... because it means they've now actually got to come up with some policy to
deal with repeat offenders/infringers ... but what hasn't come up with all
this blackout stuff is that the law doesn't stipulate what types of policies
the ISPs have to have -- it basically leaves a huge open door for them to
come with as lenient a policy as they like - which is what they'll do
because the last thing they want to be doing is a) policing, and b) cutting
people off from their service. Its not designed to grab the odd file sharer
... what i think this is there for is probably to placate other countries
(most notably the USA) that we (NZ) have some suggestion of a policy in
place to stop large scale piracy (think piratebay not that last cd you
bittorented) so that they can meet a requirement of a free trade deal.
Something else ... what large scale pirate racket would operate out of NZ?
nobody. its too damn expensive! nobody in their right mind would set
themselves up to share/pirate large numbers of files from within NZ - its
just prohibitively expensive. You'd go to a server in the US. Now can you
imagine some copyright agency from NZ going to Bluehost.com and saying "oh
... according to our law you have to shut these guys down." probably not. I
just don't think that this section of the law is as big a deal as people are
making out (twitter effect maybe). I'm sure that there's probably other
sections more henious but this one will get all the attention.

my .10 worth.

brent.