Hi Declan,

I strongly support the hosting of the images on the Wikimedia commons -- in
this way they will be accessible to a wider audience including WikiEducator.

It's easy to incorporate images from the Commons in WE -- just use
[[image:identical_file_name_on_wikimediacommons.jpg]] and it will magically
display in WE with all the metadata :-).

Any free cultural works approved CC license or declaration to the public
domain is acceptable, eg. CC-BY, CC-BY-SA, CC0 and or PD declaration.

If line images -- it would really be cool if these could be developed as
svg's (Use Inkscape) -- easier for derivative works and resizing for
different outputs.

Keep us posted - -great project.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Declan <declanjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have located a promising student with the right combination of art
> skills and insect knowledge to produce some high-quality images of
> aquatic insects.  I have a list in mind; microscope with drawing tube;
> most of the specimens I need; and an immediate use for the images.
> But others could find other uses, so I'm planning on placing the
> images on Wikimedia commons and then sharing the derivative
> educational products on wikieducator.  We'd like to see the images
> reused.
>
> So questions:
> What license is most appropriate?
> Is wikimedia followed by WE the best way to go?
> These will be black ink line drawings: what format is best?  PNG?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Declan

Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member,
Wikieducator<http://www.wikieducator.org%20>
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/Mackiwg> |