On second thoughts, yes, no single website could flick that many
people across, and why would anyone do that? And the number of hits
are so remarkably even over such a long period. News stories cause a
peak, but this is sustained.

It does indeed look like somebody is up to no good, a botnet or a worm
or something.

It could be wise to lock the page, it might be being used for
communication of some kind; somebody may make an edit and trigger
something, but probably not.

On 23/04/2009, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/23 geni <geni...@gmail.com>:
>> 2009/4/23 Ian Woollard <ian.wooll...@gmail.com>:
>>> It looks like it might be related to "The Beatles: Rock Band" which seems
>>> be by far the worlds most expensive video game or something. It was
>>> announced
>>> last September or so and there were more news stories about it on the
>>> 20th/21st this month.
>>>
>>> It is a bit suspicious that the interest is staying so high though,
>>> usually the peaks die away more quickly, but I think that's it.
>>>

>> No. It's not just high but in the daily top few for months. The
>> Beatles have got more views this year than Barack Obama or in fact any
>> article other than "wiki". Its getting double the views of Watchmen
>> which probably had far more geek and general internet appeal. 100K
>> views week in week out is simply not possible for well anything
>> conventional.
>>
>> Even Barack Obama doesn't manage that most months.
>
> And it moved instantly from Beatles to The Beatles, that requires some
> kind of central organisation. Either all the hits come from one place,
> or it's people all following the same link. I've asked on IRC if
> someone can check the logs and see what is going on, but there were no
> volunteers. Only anonymised logs are made public, and that is no good
> for this.

-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. Life in a perfectly
imperfect world would be *much* better. Life in an imperfectly perfect
world would be pretty ghastly though.