We will never solve the problem of structuring--different
encyclopedias at various times have done it quite opposite. (Some
French encyclopedias have even consisted of 5 or 6 very long volume
length articles, divided in an elaborate scheme to a number of
subsections. Recall that the print Brittanica for many years was
divided into two separate parts, one with long articles, one with
short ones--and with many subjects having  a different article in each
section.

In an electronic encyclopedia using structured information, and
sufficiently elaborate metadata  and frameworks, to provide the
different frameworks, the reader would be able to  convert back and
forth between separated and combined formats, just like an electronic
map can display one or more layers .

The problem is not structure. The problem is that people take having a
separate article as an indicator of importance, and will continue to
do so. Readers have expectations, and we write for them, not
ourselves, so we need to conform to what they expect of an
encyclopedia format.

But another problem is content: in an open edited encyclopedia with no
enforceable editorial guidelines, experience shows that the content of
individual items in long articles will tend to shorten, and combining
into large articles loses information. When there are short articles,
people tend to want to make them longer, and they look for and add
information--information sometimes in unencyclopedic detail.

We are spending far too much time debating over structure of
individual articles--it would be much better to have fixed conventions
for different types of articles, and everyone write to them.
Deliberately taking a field I do not work in, we could for example
decide that all the athletic teams of a college will be grouped in one
article separate from the college, regardless of importance and
regardless of how how long or short the resulting article is.  Or we
could decide that for some sports, such as football, we would always
make a separate article if there were a varsity team. Either way,
people would know where to write the material. (I am not advocating
for doing either one of them, except to say that either one would be
simpler to deal with than a mixture, and after their first experience
with the encyclopedia, people would know where to look.

according to reader choice.
David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.