On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, George Herbert wrote:
Interesting comparison with historical antecedants! This is more the
sort of level of debate I'd like to see at AfD. I wonder what a
closing admin would make of it... :-)
You shouldn't *need* to go through this level of debate just to keep a page
around when the notability rules could be fixed instead.  Otherwise we're
no longer the encyclopedia anyone can edit, we're the encyclopedia that
anyone with an extraordinary level of debate skills can edit.
And yet - without the first level filtering offered by these rules, we
can't easily seek out and remove a lot of obvious abuse.

My point isn't that we should do away with notability; it's that we should
*fix* it.