My first instinct would be to ask what state of mind the comic writers
were in when creating these characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter-Eater_Lad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouncing_Boy

But really, if something is obscure enough that it doesn't get
published in reliable sources, you are stuck. What I would support in
such cases is an external link to a page documenting this. Kind of
like further reading.

Carcharoth