On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Ray Saintonge <sainto...@telus.net> wrote:

[On libraries]

> These are not universally available or accessible.  Rural areas and
> third world countries have virtually no access. Maintaining a
> comprehensive collection is frightfully expensive both in terms of
> acquisition and storage.

This book storage facility recently built for a copyright library in
the UK makes that point well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11484494

> Funding libraries is not always seen as a
> government priority.  Many libraries need to divest themselves of much
> older material just to make space.

I think the copyright libraries in the UK are government funded, but I
see that the concept is one of "legal deposit":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_Deposit_Libraries_Act_2003

I think I failed to send copies of a university bulletin I edited and
published to the British Library (though I did send it to one of the
other libraries listed there). The bulletin in question might even
have had an ISSN number. Not sure. Oh well.

Carcharoth