On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:24 AM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This reads like a radical anti-egalitarian manifesto by some young
> Internet-based firebrand ... then I got to the end and my jaw dropped
> at the author's job.

Heh, I'm obviously closer to this space than you - I wasn't surprised at all.

Here's a blog post you may be interested in, from another small
Australian university:

http://ptsefton.com/2010/08/12/my-fave-two-reasons-not-to-release-opencourseware.htm

It's worth pointing out, though, that where Wikipedia has been a
runaway success, Wikiversity wasn't. Structured learning content (ie,
courses) is not the same as unstructured snippets of information. And
OpenCourseWare is not, as Jim Barber implies, "user-generated
knowledge" in the same way that Wikipedia is. It's produced by paid
experts, who just happen to give it away for free.

Steve