On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Charles Matthews
<charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I came across the idea of "cigarette card" collections of portraits on
> [[List of legendary kings of Scotland]], and here it is again, earlier and
> in another form.

There is a long and venerable history of such collections of portraits
of the 'grand and the good'. My reading on collections of images
includes collections such as 'virorum literis illustrium', 'icones
virorum illustrium', 'vitae virorum illustrium' and so on.

I'm pleased to see we have an article on the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_viris_illustribus

Though that refers to biographical collections, at some point the act
of illustrating them caught on as well.

Or of simply making or collecting portraits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovio_Series

Carcharoth