An excellent idea, since we don't currently actively invite new editors into
topics in which they might be interested, such as, for example, by pointing
them at relevant WP:Projects. I think a general indication that their
expertise might be appreciated would be more welcoming than we currently
seem to achieve; it would at least give less of an appearance of a "closed
shop" to which only experienced editors are welcome.

Phil