On 8 September 2012 14:53, Fred Bauder <fredb...@fairpoint.net> wrote:
> I'm older than he is. Roth is not the the first celebrity to think he
> could dictate Wikipedia content. Michael Moore also felt he could throw
> his weight around. And, no, I don't respect that move. Instead of
> spending decades on line they wrote books and produced documentaries;
> they are Noobies here regardless of their accomplishments elsewhere;
> crying babies squalling and throwing their rattles.

The content he was trying to "dictate" was a statement about what his
inspirations had been. I think it is reasonable for him to expect us
to take his word for that. The only problem was that we needed him to
put his word on the matter somewhere we could cite. Once he did that,
we changed the article and cited the new source.

I've only read the BBC article, so I don't know all the details. I
expect there was a failure of communication at some point - either us
not telling him what he needed to do in a clear, consise and
respectful way, or him not being willing to listen and respect our
policies. Without looking into the details, I don't know it was in
this case, but there have been previous cases in both categories.