Thanks for the replies!

Maybe what we need to do here is brush up our English. In my reality, living
in the Netherlands, a "Rijksmonument" is a concept of a building that has a
certain stamp-of-approval from the Dutch government. This building is so
important to the cultural heritage of the country, that they put a
blue-and-white label on it (and a brown label on it, and a white label on
it,.. OK I won't bore you with more details).

I could call this building a "National Heritage Site" using the English term
as it is used in the US, or I could call it a "Listed building" as that term
is used in the UK, but what I really want to call it is a "Rijksmonument",
since that is what the Dutch government and the Dutch tourist offices call
it. Using the Dutch term makes it clear also for people interested in
heritage. I vote to use the Dutch term,  and guess what? That is also what
is used on Commons. It may not be strictly English, but it is the
internationally correct term to use, as it is defined in the Netherlands.
Therefore, I vote to call this an English term!!
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Rijksmonumenten
Ergo, let's do this for all countries (yes even for those cyrillic users!)

Jane

2011/8/1 Otourly Wiki <[email protected]>

> Yes all commons categories are in English or should be in English. I still
> dream that these categories should be translated with an English base. I'm
> speaking about a real translation of categories, not about redirects which
> are not a solution.
> Because for more efficient search on commons, we currently have to search
> on wikipedias and then use the link given by the template commonscat (or
> derivative) when it is there.
> Direct search don't give the same ressult in every language. In one hand
> commons should be a multilingual and multimedia bank online, in another hand
> all is done to not use commons directly...
> But it's another debate...
>
> Florian Farge aka Otourly
> Sur les projets wikimédiens<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Otourly>et 
> l'Association
> française <http://www.wikimedia.fr/index.php/Accueil>, sur 
> OxyRadio<http://www.oxyradio.net/membre-436.html>,
> OSM <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Otourly>, et sur 
> MOVIM<http://www.movim.eu/>
> Socio di Wikimedia Italia<http://www.wikimedia.it/index.php/Pagina_principale>
>
> ------------------------------
> *De :* Kilian Kluge <[email protected]>
> *À :* Wiki Loves Monuments Photograph Competition <
> [email protected]>
> *Envoyé le :* Lundi 1 Août 2011 13h29
> *Objet :* Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Identification structure on Commons,
> a must have before 1 september.
>
> As far as I know, all monument categories on Commons are in English, at
> least that's true for all german categories as well.
>
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Jane Darnell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Actually, I just made the category for the Austrian monuments and called
> it Denkmalgeschütztes Objekte with the article "Denkmalgeschütztes Objekt"
> as the main article for the category. I wanted to link to the similar
> category on Commons, but that is called Category:Cultural heritage monuments
> in Austria.
> Why is that in English and not in the native language? Is there a reason
> for this (perhaps it's a Bot-related reason?)
> Jane
>
>
> 2011/7/31 Karl Gruber <[email protected]>
>
>  Hi there,
> Perhaps it would be better to use as abbreviaton the ISO-3166-1, like AT
> for Austria and so on and one common common english for each category like
> monument-AT , -NL, PT and so on
>
> K@rl
>
>
>  Am 31.07.2011 20:41, schrieb AleXXw:
>
> Hi there, Redirect should not any the problem ;) Most of the templates will
> be placed by Bots or German natives, so i think the "Ö" shouldn't be a big
> issue. What name would you prefer, {{DOA}} isn't my favorite...
> Greets
> --
> Alex
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 15:51, Jane Darnell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hubert & Bas,
> I was thinking of DOA for Denmalgeschutste Object of Austria, but that also
> is short for "Dead on Arrival". Maybe abbreviations are not a good idea
> after all.
>
>  After your first reaction Bas, I found another template for this type of
> information on the English Wikipedia: Template:Designation. This template is
> used by the Historical Sites WIkiproject, and there is some discussion to
> use it for the US NRHP wikiproject (National Register of Historic Places). I
> think this template is what I was looking for, and so whatever the Bots can
> live with on Commons is probably fine. The name may be long, but it
> certainly is not ambiguous and everyone can see this is Austria and not
> Germany or some other country that refers to monuments as "Denkmaler".
>
>  Jane
>
>
> 2011/7/31 Bas vb <[email protected]>
>
>  isn't a redirect possible?
>
>  {{DOO}} or something, the most use of the name will be by bots.
>
>  Another thing:
>
>  I've set up
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2011/Commons_infrastructure#Status_per_country
>
>  MVg,
>
>  Bas
>
> > Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 15:42:47 +0200
> > From: [email protected]
>
> > To: [email protected]
> > Subject: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Identification structure on Commons,
> a must have before 1 september.
> >
>  > we will rename our "reeeeeeally long Template-name"! Inbetween 24
> Hours!
> > Thanks for advice!
> >
> > greetings
> > Hubertl
> >
> > Am 31.07.2011 10:30, schrieb Jane Darnell:
> > > Bas,
> > > Thanks so much for your mail - suddenly the whole template thing became
> > > much clearer for me! I need to gather all of these templates now,
> > > because I would like to set up a template structure on the english
> > > wikipedia like the one for Template:Rijksmonument. I added the text
> from
> > > your mail to the project page here:
> > >
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2011#How_to_contribute_to_this_WLM_initiative
> > >
> > > Hubert, I noticed your template has a reeeeeeally long name. Of course
> I
> > > hope that the user won't need to type that in by hand, but is there a
> > > way to shorten it up a bit? I want to make a similar template for the
> > > Austrian monuments on the English wikipedia, and I noticed many people
> > > use abbreviations for the numbers (in Romania, it's called an LMI
> number).
> > >
> > > Jane
> > >
> > > 2011/7/31 Hubert <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
> > >
> > > Austria will have this too until September!
> > >
> > > greetings Hubertl
> > >
> > > Am 30.07.2011 19:02, schrieb Bas vb:
> > > > Hello everybody,
> > > >
> > > > Last year we had very much benefits from a good and proper
> > > structure on
> > > > commons, important was that we could tag the pictures with the
> > > identifiers.
> > > > Currently there are 7 countries/areas which have this structure
> > > > (see
> > >
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Cultural_heritage_monuments_with_known_IDs
> )
> > > > - Andorra
> > > > - Flanders (Belgium)
> > > > - Estonia
> > > > - Netherlands
> > > > - Romania
> > > > - Spain
> > > > - Wallonia (Belgium)
> > > >
> > > > The idea is to set up a similar structure for all participating areas
> > > > and countries (whenever possible).
> > > > Together with structured tables on the local wiki (with the
> identifier
> > > > as a field) this will provide an easy way to add missing pictures.
> And
> > > > well it's one of the requirements that pictures have an identifier.
> > > >
> > > > I think it's the best idea when the other countries, which don't
> > > have a
> > > > similar structure yet contact me (I'm away from 4-13 august) or one
> of
> > > > the persons who has allready set up a similar structure. You can
> > > find me
> > > > on IRC (name "basvb" if I'm not in the Wikilovesmonumentschannel
> > > I'm in
> > > > #wikipedia-nl), on my commons or preferably my nlwiki talkpage or
> with
> > > > an e-mail.
> > > >
> > > > Mvg,
> > > >
> > > > Bas
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> > > > [email protected]
> > > <mailto:[email protected]>
> > > > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> > > > http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> > > [email protected]
> > > <mailto:[email protected]>
> > > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> > > http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> > > [email protected]
> > > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> > > http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> > http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki Loves Monuments mailing 
> [email protected]https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonumentshttp://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu

Reply via email to