On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 6:42 AM Wilfredo Rodríguez <wilfre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As usual I am not very happy with the result of the WLM evaluations (Maybe
> they should take into account the community by selecting juries among commons
> users and not clubs or photographers of interredicha quality who don't know
> the criteria of our community). I remember having stopped participating in
> WLM Venezuela since the winners were selected with Facebook likes also the
> best photographer in commons of Venezuela withdrew from commons due to this
> problem (User:Paolostefano1412). In the case of Canada, I don't know how the
> photographs were evaluated and it would be very easy to say from my winning
> position (I won 5 pictures of the top 10) that I agree with the results but
> no, I think there were many better photos even than the first place that were
> not selected, It also leaves much to think about the third place that is not
> even a monument.

To address this kind of question/concern, one thing we, in the
international team, recommend to the local teams when they participate
for the first time is that they share the makeup of the jury and the
process the jury followed to arrive at the top 10. If WLM Canada has
not already shared this information with you, you can ask for it. I
encourage you, however, to approach this with an open heart to learn
about their process and help the local team become better. Organizing
Wiki Loves Monuments asks for a lot of time and dedication from the
local teams. :)

> Anyway, it is already something known, these contests say absolutely nothing,
> and every year they lose more participation

Without becoming too defensive about it ;), please see some points below:

* The data does not support your claim:
https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikiloves/ while there are variations from
year to year, and the peak was indeed in 2012 and 2013, we're roughly
at steady state now.

* As a reminder, the mission of Wiki Loves Monuments (from the
international team's perspective at least) is not just the photos. Our
mission is "The Wiki Loves Monuments International Team's mission is
to freely document and raise awareness of built cultural heritage,
increase contributions to the Wikimedia projects and bolster local
Wikimedia communities by leading and facilitating an annual federated,
global, low-barrier photo competition." So for us, increasing
contributions to Wikimedia projects and bolstering local communities
is also a reason for helping to run the contest every year.

Best,
Lily
p.s. and congratulation on your achievements. :)