2011/1/19 Steven Walling <steven.wall...@gmail.com>
> 2. Even if Wikimania is not relatively big when it comes to technology
> conferences, the problem is growing a strong local team of volunteers in a
> new place every year. That's very, very hard. We're not unique in having that
> difficulty as a movement, but I don't think it means we should abandon
> volunteer-based organization for the event.

This is an important point.

It's hard to grow such a team in a new place every year, but if you
do, then after X years you will have grown X strong local team of
volunteers, ready to take on new challenges and to teach their
experience to other teams. This may be a worthy goal. It would be
interesting to check previous Wikimanias and to see whether the team
that organized them went on as a team.