Lodewijk - I think you are carrying the conversation in an inappropriate
direction by trying to logically examine the merit of the points. Instead
of trying to prove or disprove the rumors, I would instead propose to
examine whether this kind of discussion really exists in significant
amounts, and if so, what basis does it have. Criticisms more often have
their basis in people being unable to get the information they request. If
I were to identify a problem, it would be in transparency and communication
about the scholarship process, and not that I find the problem with the
process itself.

Osmar - I was not criticizing the decision to host the conference in
Mexico. I just said that the conference operated on a budget which was
modest by international standards but great by local standards. This is
typical for international conferences in the developing world. I try to be
sensitive but if I did something which irks you then message me privately
so that I can learn and change my behavior. Also, I do think rumors can be
lessened if there is more transparency in the scholarship process. This
year we listed scholarship recipients, which is an improvement, and maybe
next year the list can be developed further in some way.

I stand by my claim of rumors that Wikimedia community leaders in the
global south are at greater risk for being accused of corruption than
elsewhere. I am not aware of persistent accusations directed at anyone, but
the idea arises and I feel like the concerns should be voiced and
addressed. The cause of the communication problem is the economic
difference - what is a small amount of money in a wealthier country can
worth more locally in some places, and more money creates more tension. It
is expected in the Wikipedia movement that most people be comfortable with
funding levels of wealthier countries, but more sensitivity on how money is
perceived in local places would be useful. I also advocate that a much
greater slice of available funding should go to economies where the money
goes further. There are people, young students in the developing world
especially, who have correctly recognized that the monetary value of a
Wikimania scholarship is more than some people in their social circles
spend in a year.

I am mostly dropping out of this talk. I only wanted to defend Praveen's
claim. When people voice a concern then that concern should be accepted and
examined, and problems with submitting the claim could be handled
separately. He is voicing a popular persistent concern and the community
should take notice.

Thanks everyone for your attention.

yours,