On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.p...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> As it stands, Montreal would appear to be the better place to put forward.
> Unofficially this is the year for North America to receive the nod, so we
> can't afford to have two or three competing bids. Montreal has several
> advantages right now that I am not seeing from Toronto or Ottawa.

I think it's too early in the bidding process, at this point, to discount
any city. I've worked on a few of the Toronto bids in the past, and while
I'd love to see Toronto bid and win, if Montreal's bid is stronger and beats
out a Toronto bid, I'd be happy to assist where I could with their bid. I'd
hope that the Montreal folks would have the same feelings -- getting a
Wikimania in Canada would be a big win, no matter which venue wins.

> Coren has noted that funding may be available from government sources for
> Montreal which would be a plus when the jury looks at the bid. The less
> Wikimedia has to pay, the better. Another area to look into is getting
> special rates on airfare from a major carrier, which the tourism bureau may
> be able to help secure. These advantages, combined with the bilingual area,
> make Montreal appealing. The Wikimedians in Toronto and Vancouver would be
> able to assist in arranging transportation from their respective areas.
>
> No one in Ottawa has come forth, and Toronto has been a perennial bid.

Toronto has some real strengths, and has been recognized for them by
previous WM juries. The real question is if there comes together a viable
team to actually do the grunt work of putting a bid together and can follow
through with the event.

On the Ottawa side, I'm not sure. Is anyone on the list from Ottawa? While
it could probably make a respectable run, we would need at least a few local
people who were interested in running it, and so far that hasn't happened.

Gerald