Have you considered IRC? It is free, it is very familiar to most wikimedians,
channels can be actively managed to allow only invited and digitally identified
participants (including the possibility of wikimedia.ca cloaks given out only
by Wiki Canada Inc), allows moderated or open discussion meeting formats, and
is readily loggable (which means less work for a secretary.) Most users have an
IRC client, or there are a range of web-based gateways which allows almost any
user who has internet access to be involved. Of particular benefit is the
ability to use URLs to link discussions to relevant internet resources.

As it is a purely text interface it does not allow as rich a communication
stream, but at the exact same time this improve decision-making speed by
reducing digression tendencies.

IRC is extremely scalable as it is a very low bandwidth protocol. With Skype
and similar voice meeting software, unmoderated discussions will be punctuated
with periods of dropped sound when multiple people try to speak at once - this
is an artifact of the high bandwidth use and will unequally harm users who have
lower bandwidth connections. IRC can be too fast when many people are typing
rapidly; screens can scroll too rapidly to be fully read and understood.

Amgine

--
Amgine <amg...@wikimedians.ca>