Hi Kozuch,
While not specifically a "social" feature, you might be interested to look
at a major project the WMF seems to be preparing for the future - called
"Echo": https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Echo_%28Notifications%29
It is a proposed, fully integrated, notification system for mediawiki. As
it says: "This feature is designed to replace and augment existing
notification systems as well as providing significantly more control to
both users and developers as to how their notifications are handled, read,
and deleted."

It appears that this project is the top priority in the WMF's 2012-2013
Engineering plan under the heading of "reversing editor decline". See
section 5.1: here
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2012-13_Goals

-Liam

wittylama.com/blog