Here's a thoughtful suggestion on this topic from a journalist who emailed me
today about our editor engagement challenges at Wikipedia.

I generally agree with his observations that Wikipedia needs to be more social.
And one of the ways we can do this is to encourage more positive feedback for
editors, both from within Wikipedia -- and from the broader community outside
Wikipedia.

To be continued ...

Fabrice

______________________

Subject: Re: GIFT ECONOMY -- suggestion for Fabrice

Here's my 2-cent suggestion for Wikimedia:

The value that a user gets in making gratis contributions to any site
including Wikipedia is in the feedback from your fellow users. No feedback,
or negative feedback, and you don't hang around.

On Wikipedia, there is very little in the way of positive feedback if you
do something good, and a ton of negative feedback for everything from a
style/format error to those "this article needs more whatever" boxes. Yes,
those things are necessary to maintaining quality, but if you contribute
content (which I've only done a little of) they wear you down. It's like
being in a course where the professor fills your papers with criticism and
never once says, "good job".

So I think the answer is that Wikipedia needs to be more social. It needs a
different kind of moderation. And it needs more mechanisms for positive
feedback.

Fabrice Florin
Product Manager,
Editor Engagement