Yesterday I was at Over the Air, the UK mobile hack day, where developers come
together and try to build mobile apps and projects, commercial and open source.
(I worked on something Wikimedia-related, more of which when I've made the code
presentable.)

One of the things discussed was the perennial topic of opening up of UK
government data. The UK government have committed to making as much data as
possible openly available under open licenses (specifically the Open Government
Licence, which is basically the UK government's rebadged CC BY license).

The UK government are trying to seed use of data with companies, to show an
economic and social use for opening up data, and are prioritising open data
releases that have some useful economic benefit. For instance, hypothetically,
releasing high-quality information about public transport would allow people to
develop mobile apps to help people use public transport, while releasing data
about bird population studies might be of less commercial importance. The
government seem to be leaning towards putting out the commercially useful
material first.

One thing that came up in discussion was whether or not anyone has ever done
any economic impact studies on Wikipedia and other community-produced open data
and open content projects (OpenStreetMap, other Wikimedia projects etc.)? If
civic society groups like Wikimedians, OpenStreetMappers, MySociety.org people
etc. want to convince governments to put more data out, it'd be helpful to show
the economic effects of this, or to have people who are trying to convince
government to put the data out to have access to this kind of information so
they can make better decisions (cue cynicism here).

There are such reports on the economic impact of open data releases by
governments[1]. But I was wondering if we'd seen anything for
community-produced data. I know Apple are now using OpenStreetMap within
iPhoto[2] and have long had Wikipedia as part of OS X's Dictionary.app. The
Foursquare website has just switched over to OSM (the iOS and Android apps both
still use Google Maps).

Obviously, the success of Wikipedia has affected the previously dominant
players in the encyclopaedia market: Britannica, Encarta, World Book etc. But
it is also providing all sorts of much harder to see effects by reducing costs
for businesses and organisations. The BBC reuse Wikipedia content within their
music and wildlife websites, thus reducing the amount they have to pay for
content (or, more charitably, enabling them to do projects that they wouldn't
otherwise be able to do). Wikipedia makes Google more useful, and Google have
often said "anything that makes the web better makes Google better". Might a
decent Wikipedia in a small language effect the market in that language
community for technology? If people can actually read stuff in language X, does
that increase the demand for computers/mobile phones/Internet access in
language X speakers?

Has there been any studies of these kinds of economic impact of Wikimedia
projects and other open content/open data projects?

I have seen some discussion of this in the OSM community.[3] Unfortunately,
Google is failing me on searching for material on the economic impact of
Wikipedia: I just get lots of Wikipedia articles with titles of the form
"Economic impact of X". I also couldn't find anything on the Research Index
section of Meta.

My eventual interest in this is whether or not there are potential ways
governments could work with projects like Wikipedia, chapters like WMUK and
with individual volunteers as part of their open data strategy: they seem to
want to do likewise with commercial organisations because of the obvious
economic benefits that some of that data has. There's potential for a kind of
three-way thing, with governments working with both a commercial partner and
with a community partner (like a Wikimedia chapter) to produce symbiotically
beneficial data.[4]

[1] see http://wiki.linkedgov.org/index.php/The_economic_impact_of_open_data
[2]
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/4/2998428/apple-iphoto-ios-openstreetmap-credit
[3] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-September/053947.html
[4] I hate myself when I write sentences like that.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>