>> This leads me to the simple conclusion that it isn't worth the effort,
>> especially if the filter is advertised to make Wikipedia a save place for
>> children, while everyone (including children) can disable it at any time.
>
> "Think of the children" is not really an argument I ascribe to. And not
> really one other proponents of the filter, by my observation, ascribe to
> either.
>
> It mostly seems to be brought up by opponents to try and invalidate
> arguments.

No, the goal of making Wikipedia a safe place for children is the
genesis of the filter.  It has since been watered down via design by
committee into some sort of "let's make people double click before
they can see the porn", but there certainly are some who have stuck by
their principles, on both sides of the argument.