On 03/07/12 17:09, Delirium wrote:
The biggest angst producer in my view is actually the opposite case:
something that seems like it "should" be covered, since it's notable,
but for which the extant sources are really lacking, making it
hard/impossible to write a well-sourced article. People get very angry
when something they view as clearly notable (a programming language,
say) is deleted due to lack of 3rd-party sources. I think the root
problem here is a feeling that sources "should" or even "must" track
notability, so given that something is clearly important (at least in a
community), the lack of sources we consider acceptable is unexpected.
Imo the problem is just that the literature sometimes lags and sometimes
has blind spots; journalists, sociologists, historians, etc. don't cover
everything important in full detail, instantly. I wrote a bit about that
last year:
http://www.kmjn.org/notes/wikipedia_notability_verifiability.html

I always imagined that Wikiversity would be the place where this could be done. If you can't find a source on something, write it yourself, then it could be peer-reviewed, by professional scientists and university professors if possible, formally published and used in Wikipedia.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l

Reply via email to