On Jul 6, 2012 2:48 AM, "Deryck Chan" <deryckc...@wikimedia.hk> wrote:

> Short answer as I understand it:
> Global blocks are the technical feature and refer to the accounts, the IPs
> and the software capability; global bans are the policy and refer to the
> people who are unwelcome.

Deryck has got it right here. The situation is made more complex by the
fact there currently is no technical mechanism for a global block. In lieu
of that, Stewards etc. have been resorting to locking people out of their
accounts using SUL, which is known as a global lock. A global lock is the
usual way of enforcing a ban, according to the current state of the policy.

Steven

> On 6 July 2012 10:44, ENWP Pine <deyntest...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Steven,
> >
> > Could you explain the distinctions between https://meta.wikimedia.org/**
> > wiki/Global_locks <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_locks>,
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Global_blocks<
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_blocks>,
> > and https://meta.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Global_bans<
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_bans>?
> > These look to me like they have some redundancy and some areas where
they
> > diverge. A chart which compares these three side-by-side would be
helpful.

> > Also, if Global Bans are decided by an RFC on Meta, that gives me
pause. I
> > can envision sockpuppets and meatpuppets attempting to sabotage the
process
> > and giving Meta checkusers more work to do, potentially much more work,
> > especially if WP:DUCK behaviors need to be evaluated on multiple
projects
> > in multiple languages and/or coordination is needed with checkusers from
> > projects in other languages. I'm a bit more supportive of the process at
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Global_locks<
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_locks>which seems to involve
Stewards making the decision to take a global action