Open by default for me too on all the browsers I have access to.
The question still came up at Wikimania :-/

Unfair of me to ascribe it to the skin.  I suppose we've been hiding the
existence of other languages since the transition from having them above
the page title in Classic :-)

SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266