In the U.S. I encourage people to check out what database subscriptions
their local public library offers -- many larger public libraries offer a
surprising number of online journals & databases that are available to
anyone who has a library card, which you can generally get for free if you
live in the library's area (and sometimes for pay if you *don't* live in a
library's area -- especially if you are nearby). Additionally, some states
offer state-wide consortia deals on databases and subscriptions, so even
small public libraries have access to a wide range of materials. Also, if
you are close to a public university of some sort, the vast majority offer
on-site access to their online resources if you are physically on campus.

We do not, to my knowledge, have a national library program like what Liam
describes, but people in other countries should check and see if they do.

Standing offer: If you email me offlist, I will help you try to figure out
what library resources you might have access to :)

best,
Phoebe

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Liam Wyatt <liamwy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With regards to getting access to closed journals...
> I'm now working for the National Library of Australia and we offer free, at
> home, access to JSTOR and MANY other restricted access databases to any
> Australian, if they get a free library card.
> [You can see the full list at the NLA eResources page:
> http://www.nla.gov.au
> /app/eresources/ ]
>
> Is this unique to Australia? I must admit that I didn't realise until
> recently the extent of the restricted databases that were available for
> free to library card holders in their own home. With all the discussion
> over the years on the global Wikimedia mailing lists about trying to
> special access for Wikimedians, I had just assumed it was a global issue.
> But, at least for Australians, it's largely solved... Are other country's
> major libraries offering journal access to the public for free? If not,
> perhaps rather than trying to get special access for Wikimedians directly
> from the Database companies, we should be working to get access via Library
> subscriptions?
>
> Liam / Wittylama.
>
> [p.s. yes - I realise I'm promoting a service offered by my employer,
> sorry. But I reckon it's relevant and important that people know though.
> p.p.s. If you are Australian and want a free library card sent to you - go
> here: http://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/ ]
>
> wittylama.com
> Peace, love & metadata
>

> On 24 September 2013 12:48, Andrea Zanni <zanni.andre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's probably worth mentioning (again) that
> > we started a brand new wikimedia mailing list about Open Access:
> >
> > If you are interested in the topic of access to scientific/academic
> > literature, you should be there.
> > Getting access to "closed" journals is definetely something that we like
> > and must pursue,
> > but changing the very system of is more important.
> > We shouldn't have this issue at all :-)
> >
> > Aubrey
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Tom Morris <t...@tommorris.org> wrote:
> >
> > > If you've gone to university, it's well worth looking to see if your
> > > university provide alumni access.
> > >
> > > My university, the University of London, provide alumni access to the
> > > library for £220 a year, which includes an eight book borrowing limit,
> > full
> > > JSTOR access (which doesn't have the limitation that JPASS has), Oxford
> > DNB
> > > access and some other online resources.
> > >
> > > Some universities also charge the even better price of nothing.
> > >
> > > I've put up a page in project space on English Wikipedia so we can
> > > document which institutions provide access:
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:JSTOR/Alumni_access
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tom Morris
> > > http://tommorris.org/
> > >
> > > On 24 September 2013 at 12:56:18, David Gerard (dger...@gmail.com)
> > wrote:

> [...]

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *