On 9/24/13 10:13 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
On 24 September 2013 14:06, Liam Wyatt <liamwy...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm now working for the National Library of Australia and we offer free, at
home, access to JSTOR and MANY other restricted access databases to any
Australian, if they get a free library card.
Is this unique to Australia?
My free library subscription in Birmingham, England, gets me access -
from home or indeed anywhere else - to a number of otherwise-paywalled
online databases and services <http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/libsubs>.

In Denmark, and I believe most of the USA, the norm is only on-site access to subscriptions, for the general public. University-affiliated researchers do have the option to login remotely, or VPN in to get an institutional IP address offsite. But the general public has to use library computers to access the subscriptions, or (in some cases) their own computers on the library WiFi.

-Mark