Hi Pete -

I was using oversight rather loosely to mean "there's a body of people
looking over the process sufficient to catch any terrific fumbles before
they get out of the gate," rather than any stricter sense of the term.  I
view the scrutiny of a reasonable number of other Wikimedians as a form of
oversight, even without a hierarchical structure in place.  I would say
that ITN or DYK on ENWP have reasonable oversight (although it certainly
sometimes fails,) but don't view a process that needs 1-2 people to promote
something to a highly viewed mainpage as having reasonable oversight.

Best,
Kevin Gorman
Wikipedian-in-Residence
UC Berkeley